Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Stars - A Thread Cut With A Carving Knife

I was late getting Sad Robots to download which is strange given the name rings Hitchhiker's Guide. Maybe I'm getting tired of one of my favorite bands, or it could be that It'll take some time for me to warm to the French on the title track.

Whatever the case, A Thread Cut With a Carving Knife is the track that stands out for me. The synths in beginning have a perfect corniness that recalls a Disneyish village. The rest of the song follows this trend but also makes stronger use of Campbell's voice. Then suddenly the song is soaked in loving distortion. The whole thing is almost if not completely formulaic, but I can't help but let myself drift into some form of synaesthesia when Millan's voice takes over for the final chorus.

No comments: