Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fleet Foxes @ The Grand Ballroom at Manhattan Center, 10-5-2008

Brilliant.

I spent most of May listening to Sun Giant and then Fleet Foxes, and I thus had all the recorded songs stuck in my head before the concert even started. It's great to go to a show and be so familiar with the material that you can know the names right off and then be surprised at the subtle changes. What really made the experience was it's personable nature. Take it, I was right up in front, but the crowd was so respectful that when Robin decided to play two solo bits completely acoustically you could have and didn't hear a single cell phone in the audience. It was as if, despite their fame, I was watching them play for a group of my friends at a bar around the corner.

The vocals were pretty much perfect even during the few times when a band member decided to improvise a harmony, and without the reverb (during Robin's two solo songs) that has almost defined their style, nothing was lost. This all resounded during the a-capella sections which had me drifting off to whatever fanciful location they were mentioning at the time. The banter also had me literally laughing between songs; I'd almost forgotten how friendly a band could be. Fleet Foxes are more than suited to play live shows given their whole nature. I'll keep listening to their recordings, but I'm not sure I'll ever get the same musical bliss that I got from seeing them live.

Setlist
Sun Giant/Sun Rises
Drops in the River
English House
White Winter Hymnal
Ragged Wood
Your Protector
Crayon Angels (Judee Sill Cover)
Oliver James
Quiet Houses
He Doesn't Know Why
Mykonos
Katie Cruel (Traditional) - unplugged!
Tiger Mountain Peasant Song - unplugged!
Silver City - new song!
Blue Ridge Mountains
via madeablog

Here's my glowy picture of Robin.

And Skye played with a bow.

1 comment:

mimi said...

yesss love the bow for "drops in a river."